BuildR has entered the a beta testing phase for version three. I’m looking for people to give this version a whirl and provide feedback so that this new version will be ready for release next month.
Lots of exciting things have been added for this new version of the procedural generator and I’m super excited about the direction this is taking.
Some of the newest features include…
- Multi threaded generation – BuildR will now support multi threaded generation meaning not only can multiple buildings be generated at once, but the generation code can be kept off the main game thread leaving your frame rate almost untouched!
- New asset system – one of the main precipitating issues from version 2 was how instantiating things like facade designs and dynamic textures at runtime was quite expensive. This was due to it being tied into serialised objects so.
- Version 3 has a new asset system that allows us to create the building data without ties to the Unity asset system, making runtime generation even faster.
- New UI – There has been a top down redesign of the UI and user flow for editing buildings in BuildR. I’m confident that this is a massive improvement and I’m looking forward to feedback in the beta.
- Internal courtyards – you can now generate buildings with defined internal holes for courtyards and so on.Lots more tweaks to internal algorithms and generation.
You can sign up to the beta test here.